Monday 26 December 2011

Christmas Day…done!

So how long did you spend in your jammies Christmas day morning?

This year I was actually pretty good and got dressed well before lunch…but not until I’d opened my stocking (which usually includes some underwear and socks!)

Christmas day was spent at home with my family- mum, dad, brother and sister. All the presents were piled under the tree and every year that still seems so magical to me! We spent quite a few hours in the run up to lunch giving out the gifts, interspersed with trips back and forth to the kitchen to manage proceedings.

This year I packaged my gifts in brown paper with a minimal amount of sticky tape to help the recycling process! …but I do love lots of ribbon- it’s not Christmas without lots if ribbon! Part of the gifts to my family were bottles of my homemade vanilla extract. I also decided it would be a novelty to give homemade ‘vouchers’ so they could choose they own personalised cakes from my growing list of recipes. It will be interesting to see what they choose!



We all pitched in to help with Christmas lunch.  My main task was the brussel sprouts …so…many….sprouts…to…peel! I blanched them and then pan fried them with shallots and chestnuts. 



My other self-appointed roll was as ‘dessert creator’. I wanted to provide a lighter healthy vegan alternative to go alongside the traditional Christmas pud. It needed to be something pretty fool proof and easy to put together (no dramas on Christmas day thank you!).

I decided upon a combination of many of the recipes I have posted in recent days. The ingredients list may look long but the method is actually so simple.
                                          
…light fat-free chocolate sponge (based on this recipe)
...chocolate chestnut frosting (previously mentioned here) or you could use your own favourite
…cranberry compote (based on this recipe) or any berries could be used

…all layered up to create one fruity luxurious Christmas chocolate cream sponge! 


I really love the tart berries combined with the sweetly smooth and creamy frosting, topping the light and springy sponge base.  The perfect end to a sumptuous satisfying dinner…even those who claim they ‘couldn’t eat another thing’ could squeeze in a pieces of this!

Recipe: Chocolate cream cranberry sponge

Makes one 10x15 inch pan (or a thicker sponge for a slightly smaller pan)

Ingredients

Sponge base: (this can be made a day in advance)

10 1/2 oz. firm silken tofu
1/3 cup rapadura
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs water
1 tbs vanilla extract 
1 tbs ground flax mixed with 2tbs hot water (see egg replacer note below )
1 cup whole wheat spelt flour
¼ cup ground almonds
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½  tsp salt
1 tbs ground flax mixed with 2tbs hot water
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.

Chestnut cream frosting: (Can be made in advance)

I used a two-layered approach with my  chocolate frosting smoothed directly over the sponge (I had some reserved in the freezer) and then this chestnut frosting over that.

100g silken tofu
20g agave or brown rice syrup plus ¼ tsp stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g chestnut puree (I used canned puree)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs cocoa powder

Cranberry compote:

Approx. 4 cups fresh cranberries
3 tbs rapadura (extra if you don’t like your cranberries too tart)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

Method

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 10x15 inch pan with baking parchment. In food processor, mix the tofu, rapadura, agave, vinegar, water, vanilla and flax mix. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour the blended tofu mixture into flour mixture; stir together thoroughly. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth batter evenly into pan and bake  for 10-12 minutes.
Allow to cool before lifting from the pan. The sponge can be made up to a day in advance.
To prepare the frostings, blend all ingredients listed together in a food processor until a smooth consistency forms. Layer the frostings up on top of the sponge.

To make the cranberry compote, add the fresh cranberries to a small sauce pan along with the rapadura, cinnamon and water. Simmer and stir every minute or so for 10- 15 minutes until the berries have softened and formed a thick compote.

Spoon the compote on top of the frosting and serve immediately.
The dessert can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.


P.S. I know I also promised a boxing day pasty recipe!  We made the pasties for lunch today and now I just need to get it all written up…I promise this is on its way! It maybe too late for your Christmas day leftovers but it is also the perfect recipe idea for any ‘roast’.


For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...