Saturday 10 March 2012

Single serve carrot cake

I’ve enjoyed making my ‘2 minute breakfast cookies’ so much recently, more for dessert than breakfast! I’ve tried out lots more flavour combinations so I will be sharing those with you soon, but today I fancied a single serving more of the mug cake variety.

Using this gluten free raspberry cheesecake mug cake recipe as a basis I set about making a super nutritious ‘fill me up’ type dessert with some added oats for oomph. To make smaller portions you could divide the mixture into two small ramekins to serve two.

Instead of serving it straight from a bowl or mug I decided to line the ramekin with lightly oiled clingfilm so that once cooked I could easily lift it out and peel away the clingfilm to serve. It worked pretty well although if I’d waiting a couple of minutes for it to cool and firm up slightly it probably would have been even easier….me impatient…never!

Using orange juice instead of soy milk really helps to bring out the flavour of the carrot, and the ground almonds really help add to the moistness of the crumb, you could probably get away without the added oil since the texture was in no way dry. You could serve it with a dollop of nut butter or a creamy cheesy style frosting. Here I served mine with a thick cashew cream made with much less water than usual.

Single serving 'microwave' cakes are great as a time saver and also as an ingredient saver particularly when being a bit adventurous or experimental and you don’t want to make a whole batch of cake to find it tastes awful! Today this ‘5 minute cake’ really did the trick and meant that I could have a 10 minute time-out before rushing off the do the next thing on my list…so much to do today…busy busy busy, I will reveal all very soon!


Recipe: single serve carrot cake

Serves 1!

Ingredients

2 tbs GF flour mix
1tbs ground almonds
1 tbs oats
1 tbs rapadura
Tiny pinch salt
¼  tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp mild flavoured oil (coconut or rapeseed)
1 small carrot grated- approx. 3tbs
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp cinnamon
2-3 tbs orange juice
Nuts to sprinkle on top- optional

Method

Add all the ingredients to a small bowl adding orange juice last just enough to achieve a medium thick batter. Mix well so there are no lumps or dry patches of unmixed flour.

Pour into a mug or large ramekin (line it with clingfilm if you want to be able to take it out to serve). Note the mixture should only fill no more than just over half the height of the mug/ramekin. Sprinkle nuts over the top if you like. 

Cook on full power (900W) in microwave for 1 min. check with a cocktail stick until stick comes out almost clean. Cook for 20 seconds more if necessary (up to two times) until cooked.





For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

19 comments:

  1. I just made this, and I'm pleased to say that it was devoured! I'm definitely putting this blog under my favorites list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wohoo that makes me very happy! so glad you enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the recipe I've been looking for! I have had an ongoing craving for carrot cake- now I can make one just for me! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapadura? flavoured oil? would cost a fortune to buy ingredients I don't have on hand to make this bite full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, regular oil will work fine for this recipe, hence why I mentioned any mild flavoured oil. I tend to use rapadura as it the least refined type of granulated sugar, but any sugar would work just fine!

      Delete
  5. The recipe calls for ground almonds but in the pictures it appears it is walnuts in it. Explaination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the ground almonds form part of the flour mix, as they help give a moistness particularly if using gluten free flours. The walnuts were an optional sprinkle on the top.

      Delete
  6. What is GF flour mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the GF stands for gluten free as i used a gluten free mix (of equal parts buckwheat and tapioca flour) instead of regular flour, but you could also use any regular flour instead if you prefer.

      Delete
  7. Does the flour have to be gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolene, No it doesn't, I often use spelt flour when i'm not using gluten free mixes, but you could also use regular flour if you prefered.

      Delete
  8. Would it still work without the ground almond and orange juice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alex, you could use any liquid instead of the orange juice. The ground almonds helps to add moistness to the gluten free flour, but it may well be ok without and you could just use a little more flour or oats to make up for it. If you are not gluten free you could just use 3tbs of regular flour instead of GF flour and almonds. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was amazing! I loved it, the almonds I used were chunks and I used more orange juice and spelt flour and sprinkled walnut chunks on top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad it worked out well for you! :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh and I used 2 packets of Stevia instead of the rapadura.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jo,

    I have tried microwave recepies before but they dint come out very well, the cake becomes very hard, is there any special tip which i should follow while baking in a microwave

    Thanks
    Maggi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, It's strange you've found microwave cakes hard since if anything i find them to be softer. Make sure you always use a little bit of oil to give a delicate crumb and maybe also try cooking for a slightly shorter time than stated as you can always cook for a few more seconds if needed- just stop cooking as soon as the top of the cake is no longer sticky.

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...