Saturday 17 December 2011

‘Twelve Days’ day 8: Gingerbread parcels

Photoshoot complete before breakfast…oh and then these became breakfast!

I really wanted to put together a healthy gingerbread recipe. I love gingerbread and typically I would cut out the dough into gingerbread men, but gingerbread men are everywhere at Christmas and as cute as they are I really wanted to do something a little different from the norm this year.

I wanted to combine the idea of gingerbread with something equally as Christmassy…. Enter the Christmas gingerbread parcel, packed full of sweet and spicy mincemeat!

Mmmm, a crisp and chewy gingerbread cookie shell with a soft and juicy fruity centre. These are so moreish, rich and filling but not so sickly sweet. Using homemade mincemeat makes such a difference, as I mentioned yesterday in this post, I never used to like mincemeat at all….please give it a try!

I’d originally tried to create a gluten free gingerbread dough which tasted great (in dough form) but rolling it out presented an issue as the dough was quite crumbly. I think it would have been fine for a flat cookie, but these really needed the extra elasticity to allow them to be folded up into the individual parcels. So, I opted for the tried and tested spelt version as I am still quite a novice when it comes to GF baking. I’d be interested to know of any tips or comments other may have!

Of course this dough could be used for traditional gingerbread men if you prefer!


Recipe: Gingerbread parcels

Ingredients

1 ½ cups mix of whole and white spelt flour
½ cup arrowroot
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1tbs ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
3tbs coconut oil- melted
1 tsp flax and 2 tbs hot water mixed
1/3 cup agave nectar plus ¼ tsp stevia
2 tbs molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
Half a jar of mincemeat- bought or (ideally) homemade

Method
Preheat oven to 180C. In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.  Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until you get a stiff dough. I didn’t feel that the dough needed time to chill, but feel free to chill for a short while if you feel it will make it more workable, particularly if a little sticky.
Roll out the dough using lightly floured parchment paper. Roll out to approx. 5mm thick and cut into squares approx. 8cm wide. Spoon a teaspoon of mincemeat mixture into the centre of each square and pinch the corners together sealing them at the top  to form a parcel (it’s simpler than it sounds!)
Bake for approx. 8-10 mins until they begin to colour at the edges. Cool completely and decorate with a dusting of icing sugar if desired.


For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I want to make absolutely everything I've seen so far! Your recipes look delicious, and I look forward to seeing/making more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin, Thank you so much! let me know how you get on if you do make anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think I can substitute the arrowroot with cornstarch ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi foodandblood- i would imagine that swap would be fine. My understanding is that arrowroot/cornstarch/potato starch/tapioca flour are fairly interchangeable in most recipes. It may make a slight difference to the 'crispness' of the finishes gingerbread but i don't think it would have much impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the quick reply :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...