Saturday 17 March 2012

Mint choc brownie

Happy St. Patricks Day…wherever you may be celebrating!

I thought I’d do my bit by going down the green themed route with a mint choc brownie. I still had some lovely thick cashew cream in the fridge so though it would work perfectly with my little single serve brownie… a couple of drops (literally) of food colouring, plus a tiny bit of agave is all it took. If I’d had some spirulina I would have given that a go for an alternative way of making ‘green’.

I had another chaotic day of cooking and baking to prepare my various snacks for the week plus snacks for others too. So, a little single serving dessert was the perfect fit after a plate of veggies and dip for lunch.

I made this gluten free by using buckwheat and ground almonds but other GF flour combos or spelt (if not GF) would work here also. I had a couple of attempts at this as I felt the first ‘brownie’ was more cake-like that I’d have liked so I increased the yoghurt to two tablespoons and the result was much more gooey and brownie-like.

To be honest, I wasn’t the hugest fan of this cake…and for ages I couldn’t figure out why!

Then I realised… I’m simply not a big lover of mint and chocolate when it comes to cakes (or ice-cream for that matter!) hence why I’ve never created a mint choc combo on my blog before. Give me a little bit of choc orange and I’m well away…now that combo you do see a lot of… here, here and here for starters. But hey, it was ok and I’m sure many of you will give out the mint choc love on my behalf…. but that’s all good as I’m pleased I still gave the green salute.

Cheers!


Recipe: Mint choc brownie

One brownie

Ingredients

2 tbs buckwheat flour
1 tbs ground almonds
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs ground chia/flax
2 tsp agave
A pinch of baking soda
A pinch of salt
2 tbs soy yoghurt (or regular yoghurt for non vegan)
½ tsp peppermint extract
cacoa nibs for decoration- optional

Method

Mix everything together in a small bowl. Spoon into a ramekin lined with plastic wrap so that it can be removed (or simple eat it out of the remekin). Cook in the microwave for approx. 40 seconds depending upon your microwave setting, check after 30 seconds to see if the top feels done.

Serve with a dollop of cream/yoghurt or cashew cream (the cashew cream shown here is much much thicker than in the link as I added much less water) as I did here.  I flavoured the cream with couple of drops of peppermintextract along with the green food colouring.


 First attempt- more cake like

 Second attempt- more gooey!

 
For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like the idea of you using spirilina, I wonder how that would have tasted. The We Should Cocoa challenge is green this month, so do feel free to submit this if you'd like to. You'll find the link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had a look and submitted it...I hope it did it right! :-)

      Delete
  2. I made this last night, and it was delicious! I didn't have any peppermint extract, so I used almond instead and it worked great. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry, Almond sounds like a great addition...glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...