Tuesday 17 April 2012

Carrot cake pancakes

So, on Saturday pancakes got to me again….!  I hadn’t planned for this little distraction at all since I had a nice bowl of oats lined up in my head (hmm, that sounds odd?)

But then Facebook happened and somebody had posted about pancakes- how much they really wanted some….so then I really wanted some too! So I figured I really ought to do something about that.

Meet the newest addition to the pancake family. Carrot cake pancakes!

It’s still only a relatively small pancake family but there are plenty more flavour combos bubbling away in my mind awaiting a future weekend brunch trials. Check these ones out too:

What’s your favourite flavour?

You will see the note below about carrot content. I made these originally with quite a large carrot, and therefore the ratio of ‘wet ingredient to dry’ was fairly large as carrot releases more moisture whilst cooking. You will see from the photos that the pancakes were more dense and moist than fluffy, I liked it this way as a nice change but my mum (who I’d shared them with) preferred a slightly fluffier version. Therefore I have slightly reduced the amount of carrot in the recipe below. Also note that the carrot should be finely grated so that it cooks through quickly.

P.S wish me luck for tonight, as I have my first new Pole Fitness class to teach…I’m a big ball of nerves and excitement!

P.P.S do you notice how there are 4 pancakes in these photos yet the recipe makes 6- well guess who ate four pancakes and who ate two! (yes I was hungry!)


Recipe: Carrot cake pancakes

Makes approx. 6 smallish pancakes 

Ingredients

½ cup white spelt flour
4 tbs oats
1 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
¾ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 smallish carrot finely grated (or larger carrot for a less fluffy pancake)
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs maple syrup
1/3 – 1/2 cup orange juice
1tbs melted coconut butter

Method
Mix coconut butter, orange juice and vanilla in a bowl and heat in microwave to melt the coconut butter into the mixture. Combine dry ingredients in a separate small bowl then add the wet and mix. Add finely grated carrot last and lightly mix through. Spoon dollops on a lightly oiled hot frying pan and fry till golden for a few minutes each side.

Serve with soy yoghurt and walnuts with a dusting of extra cinnamon as desired.

Note: when I first made these I added a medium- large carrot to the mixture which made for a wetter pancake due to the moisture in the carrot as it cooks. I enjoyed this texture, but if you prefer a more traditionally fluffy pancake then you may wish to reduce the carrot as noted.




For or tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Now you are making me want pancakes too... even though I already had my nice little bowl of oatmeal this morning. And what a perfect flavor for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh carrot cake pancakes! Anything carrot cake is good in my book. :)

    Good luck with your class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm a relatively late starter with carrot cake...it's only been this last yeat that i've got into it! Class went well..I think!

      Delete
  3. did you use quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I used regular porridge oats, so I assume they will be the quick cook variety. They weren't steel cut.

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...