Friday 20 July 2012

Mexican sweet potato soup

Soup…in the middle of summer?? 

Well yeah, if  'summer' is practically winter!

We need the sunshine, I need my plants to grow….and I want to wear shorts and flip flops…. is that really too much to ask?

In mean time, whilst I wait patiently for the sun, I bring you soup. Not just any soup mind you, this sweet potato concoction has a spicy kick and a great texture that you can adapt to your preference. It’s super quick to cook and makes up a big batch for the freezer…just the way I like it!  You could probably also serve this cold on a hot day (note: I have not tried this!!)

I love grating sweet potato into soups as it speeds up the cooking time so much whilst still giving a great flavour and texture. You can also vary the seasonings as you wish, but I wanted to create a Mexican twist here. Oh, and you can ignore the savoury scones in the photos, they were an experimental lentil based recipe that were edible but not yet blog worthy.

I hope you are enjoying your summer, however hot (or not) it may be, and for those readers  who are now having their winter- well this recipe is for you!


Recipe: Mexican sweet potato soup

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 red or white onion-finely sliced
2 cloves garlic-crushed
1 tsp red palm oil or olive oil
1 medium sweet potato- grated or processed until coarse (approx. 1 large cups worth)
½ tsp chipotle sauce (or a small chopped chilli/chilli flakes)
1 can tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock
½ cup cooked sweetcorn
½ cup cooked black beans
1 pepper
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli
Salt to taste

Method

Fry the onion and garlic in a large saucepan for few minutes in oil till soft.

Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, chipotle sauce and stock and simmer for approx. 10 mins until the potato is fully cooked. Blend to achieve desired texture if necessary.

Meanwhile cut the pepper into chunks and grill/fry this separately. Add to the cooked sweet potato mixture along with the sweet corn and black beans. Cook for a further 5 mins to heat through. Add all the remaining seasonings in the last couple of minutes prior to serving. 



For more soup recipes check out this collection.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

2 comments:

  1. I just made this, and it is GOOD.
    I didn't have canned tomato so I just chopped up two tomatoes. I also used a green pepper since you didn't specify, and fried corn from one cob with it.
    Added to my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, so glad it worked out well for you...soups are great you can't really go too wrong! :-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...