Thursday 12 July 2012

Quinoa berry cookie-pie

You know how much I love breakfast! You know how much I love my oats and breakfast cookies!

Well, this ‘monster’ of a single serve cookie-pie is a spin off based on my apple version but instead of using oats I have gone full out GF for those with oat sensitivities and use quinoa flakes for a subtle tasty variation.


I love this version just as much as the original oat version (although I feel like a traitor for even saying that!)  The chia seeds mixed through the simply berry filling really help provide the thickness to the sauce (and another helping of super nutrients) but ground flax seed would probably also do the job here.

This was my breakfast last Saturday morning and in the light of the morning sun I was really pleased with the way these photos turned out (particularly the 3rd photo).  I’m really working hard with my photography in recent months….I enjoy it so much and know that if I could get to grips with the technical side of things a bit more (and not rely on Photoshop so often to correct my white balance etc) I could do so much more.

All in good time…I must not expect to be able to run before I can walk!


Recipe: Quinoa berry cookie-pie

Serves 1 (fairly large portion- you could propbably share if you were so inclined!)

Ingredients- cookies:
1/4 cup quinoa flakes
3 tbs buckwheat flour (other flours would probably be fine too)
3tbs dessicated coconut
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbs ground chia
½ tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
1 tbs agave
3-4 tbs vegan yoghurt (or regular yoghurt for non vegan)
Sprinkle of sliced almonds to decorate- optional

Ingredients- filling:
½ cup to ¾ cup berry filling (I used cherries, strawberries and raspberries)
1 tbs ground chia
1-2 tsp agave (if necessary)

Method

Mix and mash all the cookie ingredients together well to form a thick sticky ball of dough. Divide into two and flatten the ball with wet palms and place both on a lighly greased microwaveable plate. 

Cook on full powder in the microwave for 1 min 20s. Press with your finger and if there are no visibly sticky bits you’re done.

Whilst the cookies are cooking, prepare and chop the fruit into 1-2 cm sized chunks.  Either on the hob or in the microwave cook the berries and agave down for a just few minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and stir through the ground chia to thicken.

Lay one cookie as a base and pile on the filling, adding the other cookie as a top. Dust with almond slivers or berry slices if desired. Serve immediately.



For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...