Wednesday 19 September 2012

5 minute low-carb noodles

Do you remember my 5 min noodle lunch? That little dish went down a storm on Foodgawker....and so here's hoping this little treat will be right up your street (I promise that wasn't an accidental rhyme!)

This time the veggies are the noodles...making this little snack not only super speedy but also low carb, perfect when you want a light bite that wont weigh you down or a veggie side dish to accompany a gourmet spread!


This dish is dedicated to my julienne peeler. I have been having such fun with my new purchase this last few days! I had been meaning to buy one for some time ever since reading this post on Oh She Glows, however I didn't come across them in the shops....thank you Amazon my saviour!

The principle here is to simply grab a 'long' vegetable and peel it!  I had fun with carrots, courgettes and parnips, but I reckon aubergine could be good, and anything else that takes your fancy and is long enough to drag the peeler down without catching your fingers.

Once you have a nice big pile of long noodley vegetabley strands, you simple fire up a pan or wok on the stove, heat a little oil and stir fry the noodles for about 5 minutes (depending on how well cooked you like them). Season and serve.....so so simple!

Ok, so I have added a little recipe below for completeness, see here even my dressing was low key to allow the flavours of the veg to really shine. I threw in some soy beans and a generous dusting of sesame seeds to carry on the Asian influence and add an extra protein kick. The colour and flavour of the parsnip was so good and really makes it seem as though you have a bowl of actual noodles.


Recipe: Veggie noodles- low carb

serves 1-2 (for a main or side)

Ingredients:

splash of toasted sesame oil (or olive or coconut oil)
1 medium/large carrot
1 medium courgette
1  medium parsnip
1/3 cup frozen soy beans
1-2 tbs sesame seeds
2 tsp soy sauce* (tamari soy or liquid aminos for GF)

Method:

Peel the veg with a julienne peeler and then add to a large frying pan with a little oil. Stir for a minute to coat and then add the frozen soy beans if using. A couple of minutes prior to serving add the soy sauce and sesame seeds.

I cooked my veg for a total of 5-6 minutes and they had a slight crunch...just the way I like them!




* for further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! These veggie noodles look delish. Now, the question is, where can I find a julienne veggie peeler. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a madeline that will slice things very thin (I used it to slice eggplant for faux pasta noddles in a lasagna) but it also has a blade for julinne and crinkle cut as well. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay how exciting! It's probably quite sad that I feel this excited for you. So many fun experiments to be had! :-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...