Thursday 18 October 2012

DAY EIGHTEEN: Quick apple spice cake

What do you get if you cross and a cake and a pie?  Answer = a slice of yum!

Or more accurately, this little beauty…


Taking the principle from the trusty breakfast cookie also this cookie-pie I used both grated apple in the batter itself and sliced apple to top the pie. The result is a light and subtle appley dense oaty ‘sponge’ with a lovely browned apple top- double apple action!

As ever, there are loads of variations for the topping or add-ins for the batter. I added nuts to the top, but you could easily mix these through the batter for some added crunch and texture instead.

The batter mix is super simple and so the whole thing comes together within a couple of minutes plus some baking time, I wouldn’t suggest microwaving this one!  I served mine hot with a little soy yoghurt, but I also ate the last couple of slices cold the next day and that was also delicious.


Recipe: Quick apple cake

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

½ cup oats
¼ buckwheat flour (other mild  flours  would probably be fine too)
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbs ground flax/chia
Ground cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste (approx. 1 scant tsp each)
3 tbs agave or maple syrup
2 tsp oil (coconut, olive, rapeseed)
¼ cup soy yoghurt (or regular yoghurt for non vegan)
1 medium apple- half grated and half sliced
2 tbs chopped nuts or your choice- for topping or mix through
1 tsp rapadura (or other unrefined sugar) for sprinkling on top
  
Method

Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl and then add the agave and yoghurt. Mix the grated apple and nuts (if using) through the mixture last to achieve a sticky ball or dough.

Flatten the dough into a 2cm thick round on a lined baking sheet. Press the apple sliced into the top and add nuts, sprinkling of sugar and a dusting of cinnamon if desired.

Bake at 180C for approx. 20 mins until the apple slice s and edges of the pie are golden.








What Vegan MOFO means to me.


For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! Looks like it's not that difficult to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, its not difficult at all...just the way I like it :-)

      Delete
  2. Your apple cake is beautiful! Love how you arranged the apple slices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have sworn I wrote a comment on this post. Lost in cyberspace I suppose.
    I love the simplicity of this pie/cake and the double use of apple. Mmmm.
    How long ought I bake it for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nina, Sorry about my typo...you should bake the cake/pie for around 20 mins.

      Delete
  4. hm.. never heard of "rapeseed"... I'll try olive instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antonia, yes olive oil would be fine too!

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...