Tuesday 2 October 2012

DAY TWO: chocolate trail mix cookies

These cookies have it all…. Nuts and fruit for an energy boost, oats for sustenance and last but not least…chocolate for an indulgent twist.


The other great things about oatmeal cookies is that they are pretty forgiving and can accommodate plenty of substitutions and approximate measurements depending on what you have to hand. I happened to be at my dad’s house when I made these cookies last week. I was in the middle of writing up some notes and doing a little research when I just fancied something chocolately but also more substantial than the three squares of dark chocolate that were left in the packet.

So then these three little squares of dark chocolate teamed up with some dried berries, and then a handful of nuts came to join in the game. Then I spied the tub of oats and before I know it a whole cookie mix had evolved!

Two cookies for me, two for my dad…and four saved for later...maybe.

I used a dollop of runny peanut butter in this mix which actually give a really great depth of texture and taste, but if you prefer not to have such a dominant flavour feel free to sub coconut oil or another mild oil. I usually use a little flax or chia to avoid a crumbly mix, however I didn’t have any to hand…but this was no problem as these cookies held together just fine.

So there you have it, the first ‘oat based’ offering for Vegan MOFO. Sweet, simple, healthy and foolproof. Vegan or not you’ll love these cookies.


Recipe: Chocolate trail mix cookies

Makes approx. 8 cookies

Ingredients

½ cup oats
3 tbs wholemeal spelt flour or GF flour of choice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbs cocoa powder
3 tbs agave syrup
2 tbs peanut butter (or 1 tbs oil)
3 tbs crushed nuts
3 tsp chopped dried berries (I use mixed cranberries and cherries)
1 tbs dark chocolate chunks or cacoa nibs
3 tbs soy milk or as needed to create a thick spoonable batte

Method

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.

Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for a few seconds until runny and  then add the agave syrup. Mix the wet ingredient adding as much soy milk as necessary to achieve a thick batter. Add  the nuts/fruit/chocolate last.

Press spoonfuls of the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, pressing down firmly eith a wet palm or the back of a spoon, as these cookies does not spread.

Bake at 180C for 8-10 mins or until just beginning to brown.






What Vegan MOFO means to me.

For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

3 comments:

  1. These look awesome! I'll be trying them soon for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah these look great! Plus, I have all the ingredients already which is superb. I shall be making these shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These really are great 'store cupboard' cookies! ;-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...