Tuesday 27 November 2012

Pineapple salsa salad

Fruity salads seem to be a common theme for me at the moment. I posted this apple chutney salad a few weeks back and I have another couple on the cards just waiting for a better photo opportunity.


This particular salad dressing was closely inspired by the recipe in Levi Roots book 'Caribbean Food Made Easy' and I loved the simplicity of the sweet and spicy flavour contrast so was keen to experiment with jazzing up my colourful bowl of salad. This little jar made me about 4 servings worth although I guess that does depend upon how generous you are. 

Salads at lunchtimes are particularly satisfying to me at the moment, I made up two big tuns of salad to take with my to keep me going throughout the coaching course. When at home I often team up my salads with a bowl of soup on the side.... soup and salad, hot and cold, starter and ...er starter? I enjoy the salad bowl followed by the soup bowl or sometimes I eat them side by side....cos that's just the crazy way I roll! :-)


Recipe: pineapple salsa 

One large ramekin

Ingredients

1 tin pineapple chunks or 2/3 cup fresh pineapple
¼ tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
1 spring onion- sliced
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
2 tsp mild flavoured oil
½ tsp unrefined sugar (I used coconut sugar)

Method

Lightly blend to mix together and break up the pineapple. Allow the flavours to infuse for 15 mins before serving. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days.

Tastes great served over salad.  What other ways would you serve this dressing...sweet or savoury?



For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...