Friday 2 November 2012

Pumpkin granola muffins


I have made a lot of pumpkin puree this last couple of weeks. I blended it up and froze it in muffin cup portion sizes…so many of my baking experiments have been making use of it.

This recipe is no exception and it is a double whammy as you have a pumpkin granola topping too! Of course the granola is optional- you could simply top with nuts and spice instead, but since at the time I was making a batch of this granola I figured it would be a good opportunity to set aside a little for the muffin tops.

mini muffins using a buckwheat flour mix

I’ve made these muffins using both flour combinations- spelt and my GF mix. I think between them I preferred the spelt, I enjoyed the buckwheat but found the flavour slightly dominant over the pumpkin, you may find it preferable to use oat flour or brown rice flour in its place.

For the granola topping, take pinches of raw granola mix and press firmly into the top of the uncooked muffin. Pre-baked granola will burn.  I also used mini muffin tins on my second attempt as the first try using full sized muffin cups lead to the granola burning at the edges before the muffins had cooked through.  If you are opting for a topping I would definitely advise you not to use larger than cupcake tins.

larger spelt muffins- great texture but burnt tops

These make the perfect winter warming snack served warm with a little vegan yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup….so good!


Recipe: Pumpkin granola muffins

Approx. 8 mini muffins

Ingredients

1 cup GF flour mix (I used ½ buckwheat, ¼ tapioca, ¼ ground almonds) or WM spelt
¼ cup coconut sugar/rapadura and 1/6th tsp stevia
pinch salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground chia
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs coconut oil- melted
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs agave syrup
¼ cup apple or orange juice
Topping: 1/3 cup pumpkin granola for topping- optional

Method

Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and then add wet ingredients. Mix together lightly but well.

Spoon the batter into 8 mini muffins pans and press the uncooked granola mix into the top of the batter in each case.

Bake at 180C for approx. 12 mins until cooked through when tested with a toothpick.

Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup if you want to be full on indulgent!

NOTE: you can make regular sized muffins but I found that the topping began to burn a little before the muffins were fully cooked.







For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.
For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

1 comment:

  1. I love to combine muffins and granola! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...