Saturday 19 January 2013

Creamy herb mushroom gravy

As soon as I'd posted the recipe for the lentil and rosemary balls I realised that I'd never posted a gravy recipe on my blog!



A roast without gravy...well that would be a travesty!  

My go to vegan gravy is a mushroom gravy, currently its the only way I truly enjoy mushrooms in a cooked form (although I love them raw). With this version of the gravy I jazzed things up a little and infused it with some extra rosemary (yes I did mention I was a little rosemary obsessed at the moment!) I think the rosemary works so well with the flavours of a roast, I even throw the remains of the piece i'd cut from the garden in with the potatoes.

It tasted great, but the rosemary did give a slight green tinge which made the overall gravy a little off-coloured. It didn't bother me but I just thought i'd mention it so that you can add some browning if you prefer a richer colour. Alternatively chop the rosemary quite finely and add it after the blending process so that the leaves stay more intact without altering the colour so much.

This gravy is also a fabulous accompaniment to my traditional nut roast  and the chestnut roastIf you omit the fresh herbs you may want to increase the garlic and dried herbs a little to give it some oomph.





Recipe: Creamy herb mushroom gravy

Makes approx. 500ml

Ingredients:

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 a medium white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cup veg stock
1 1/2 cup chopped white mushrooms
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs fresh rosemary (or herb of choice)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs cornflour (or starch or choice)
1 tbs browning (this is optional for a richer colour- I didn't use this)

Method:


In a medium saucepan saute the onion for 5 minutes until softening. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for a further 5 minutes.


Add the seasoning and mix through. Add 1/2 cup of the veg stock and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.

Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes until the gravy has thickened before serving.

Note: you could add the rosemary last and blend lightly if you wanted larger rosemary flecks and would prefer to omit the browning whilst still and achieving a more visually appealing gravy colour.








For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...