Thursday 3 January 2013

Speedy chia pizza crust

I've think i've eased my self back into the post-holiday daily routine now, although my routine is a little different now having left me job last year so it is taking a little longer to get into the 'flow'. I originally tested this recipe a few months ago, and have since then reproduced it using numerous flour combinations, so it is pretty versatile.

buckwheat flour

The photos below show all the options (they look pretty similar!) We have buckwheat, teff and almond and spelt options. The key ingredient that all these recipes have in common is the chia seeds, they give the pizza base a really great crispness. The recipe itself is based on a spin off of my ever faithful this flatbread recipe...I love the simple use of vegan yoghurt to bind everything together and the fact there is no yeast and therefore no need for rising time. A beautifully quick and simple recipe.

I made the buckwheat version just before New Year so it was a case of using up leftover veg in the fridge to make way for another big food shop! You can use whichever toppings you like. I also enjoyed the last of my mulled 'wine'  (a cranberry and grape juice version). I do love a glass of warming spiced fruit juice.

The recipe below gives the ingredients for the buckwheat version but to make a spelt pizza simply sub the buckwheat and tapioca for spelt (i.e 200g wholemeal spelt)

buckwheat flour

Recipe: Chia pizza

Serves 2-3


Ingredients

150g buckwheat flour
50g tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs whole chia seeds
2 tsp seasoning of choice (I used a mixed Cajun seasoning)
½ tsp salt to taste
150g vegan yoghurt (I used soy)
Up to 50ml water

Pizza toppings: I used a tomato puree and hummus mix for the base and topped it with thinly sliced veggies.

Method

Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and then add the wet ingredients, adding the water last to achieve a lightly stickly dough consistency.

With floured hands gently flatten the dough onto a floured and lined baking sheet pressing the dough into a large  thin circle (or two smaller circles) approx. 5mm thick. 

Bake at 180 for 5 mins to seal the surface. Add pizza toppings of choice and continue to bake for approx.10mins until the toppings are cooked and the edge of the crust is golden. 

Note: you can freeze the part baked crusts for future use.

teff and almond crust
spelt crust

For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.
For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...