Tuesday 30 April 2013

Carrot cookies



I love a cookie...especially a breakfast cookie as that usually means tasty but super healthy!


The recipe for these breakfast cookies came from Abel and Cole and looked so tasty I couldn’t resist giving them a go myself, ok I changed things up ever so slightly using oatmeal as the entire cookie base instead of part spelt (they seemed more breakfast-like that way) I also increased the carrot content and made a few other minor healthy swaps...couldn’t resist!

They were so good, deliciously fat and chewy and they held together well- don’t skimp on the flax (or you can use ground chia). The date sugar gave a lovely caramelly flavour and a slight crispness, you could use another unrefined granulated sugar here but I would suggest that the texture wouldn’t be quite the same just using a liquid sweetener.

 I went for a pumpkin seed and cranberry combo as I loved the contrast in colours against the carrot, also because I seem to have a bit of a thing for pumpkin seeds at the moment. Use whatever dried fruit and seeds or nuts you fancy..how about date and walnut...?

I reckon this will be a recipe base I come back to again, I can already visualise the options, using courgette or parsnip and the veggie hit! 

For more breakfast cookies, you find them amongst the concoctions in this breakfast tab.
 

Recipe: Carrot cookies

Makes approx 10 cookies

Ingredients:

60g oat flour
80g whole oats
1 tbs ground flax
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
50g date sugar
1 tbs maple syrup
1 large carrot-coarsely grated
30ml coconut oil (Melted) or olive oil
50g dried cranberries or other dried fruit
50g pumpkin seeds
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)

Method:

Mix the dry ingredient together in a medium bowl.

Ix the carrot, oil, maple syrup and lemon zest and then add to the dry mixture. Mix lightly using hands as necessary.

Form dollops of cookie mix with your hands and flatten into cookies on a lined baking sheet.
Bake at 180C for approx 10 mins until lightly golden. For a crisper cookie, flip and cook for a further 3 minutes.




 

For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

6 comments:

  1. I hated carrot when I was young. But strangely I kinda like it now. I've always love carrot cake (because it doesn't taste like carrot). Those carrot cookies look good and healthy. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome...if you love carrot cake then I am sure you will love these too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Yum!! Breakfast cookies? Yes please!!! Love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making the date sugar, but my food processor isn't up to it. Would you recommend coconut sugar instead? What about date paste?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nezumi, coconut sugar would work just fine too. I wouldn't recommend using all date paste as the wet/dry ratios would be changed and it's likely to result in a much softer cookie (there are soft and chewy on the inside as it is). Have fun :-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...