Thursday 4 April 2013

Sweet potato salad with soy balsamic


I mentioned before I love lentils, right?



Good, because here are some more. Dark green speckled lentils to be precise. My favourite kind of lentil as they hold their shape so well and look pretty on the plate. My favourite dish to date using these lentils is my ‘spag bolas the green lentil is just the right shape and texture to offer a great meat substitute.

For this dish I also had some sweet potato needing a home so another hot salad combo was born. The dressing it really simple but works so well drizzled over the potato, it is sweet and tart at the same time. I piled my hot lentil and potato mix over a bed of uncooked watercress but you could sub any greens here and cook them if you prefer it that way.

Check out this maple glazed sprout salad and this roasted cauliflower salad for another two of my favourite 'hot salads'.



Recipe: Sweet potato salad with soy balsamic

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 cups cubed sweet potato
1-2 tsp oil (I used melted coconut oil)
½ heaped cup dark green/puy lentils
2 large handfuls watercress (or sub spinach)
1 onion thinly sliced
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds- optional

Dressing:
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp agave
½ tsp chilli flakes- optional

Method
 
Mix the cubed potato with the oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Lay in an even layer on a lined baking sheet and roast for approx 15 minutes until golden and cooked through. Add the sliced onion approx 5 minutes before the end of the roasting time.

Meanwhile boil the green lentils for 15 minutes or as according to instruction (if using canned pre-cooked lentils heat for 5 minutes).

Mix the dressing ingredients and set aside. Lightly toast sesame seeds if using.

To serve place a handful of watercress in the bottom of each bowl/plate, pile potato and onion mixture of top and drizzle with dressing and sesame seeds.





For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...