Wednesday 12 June 2013

Crunchy quinoa cookies...hemp infused!


My original chewy chocolate quinoa cookies have turned out to be one of the most popular posts on this blog, and also one of the most popular search terms.   This is a little twist on the original recipe with a superfood hemp boost... perfect training snacking... or for anyone looking for a source of wholefood protein boost. I have combined hemp protein with brown rice protein to achieve the best texture (in my opinion) but you could try using your preferred protein powders instead.



Ok, so if I was to state my preference between these cookies and the originals...maybe the originals would win over a teeny weeny bit in the chewy stakes and because they were more intensely chocolatey ...but these are pretty awesome and hit the spot in terms of nutrition whilst bringing a big smile to my face.  Plus...I love the crunchy little unshelled hemp seeds!

I made a double batch of these and kept a stash in the fridge that lasted me right through to race day!   

                             

Recipe: crunchy quinoa cookies...hemp infused!

Makes approx 10  cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked quinoa
¼ cup peanut butter
¼ cup date syrup (or 3 tabs alternative syrup)
Few drops stevia to taste
1 banana
¼ cup hemp protein*
¼ cup brown rice protein*
¼ hemp seeds (I use unshelled for extra crunch factor)
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla bean powder or extract

*I used hemp protein and brown rice protein as my preferred protein options as they complement each other in texture and I typically like to use hemp wherever possible. Feel free to use your own preferred options.

Method:

Mix all the peanut butter, date syrup, banana and stevia together until smooth. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and then add to the wet ingredients until well mixed and a thick paste is formed. Mix in the quinoa until well coated.

Form small balls with your hands and press down onto a lined baking sheet.

Bake at 180C for approx 15 mins. Allow to cool fully.





For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...