Monday 23 January 2012

A Mantra for Monday no. 4




Sometimes I wish I would just take my own advice….and believe it!

Even though we are no longer together the Boy still has a daily influence on my life, my thoughts and a way of being that I still seek to understand. I still have a lot of growing to do…so do we all, it never stops.

‘You are already good enough’, was a phrase he often used to stop me in my tracks, to quieten me at times when I was getting fraught and frenzied about all the things I hadn’t done…felt I should try to be, felt I could have done better.

I had no comeback line. My ‘buts’ faltered short and I had no reply. Those words released me, forced me to see that, well, maybe he was right.

Be content with who you are…right here…right now. 

Accept and grow from all decisions and experiences which take place every day. Through acceptance you experience true freedom.

Easy to say, those lovely peaceful poetic words…blah, blah, blah. I’ll be honest and admit that at times I’m prone to casting those words aside as well. Generally it’s when I’m feeling defensive, when I know that it’s true but I just can’t admit that I’m really beating myself up about insignificant things, giving myself a hard time for no good reason. I guess I almost feel ashamed.

Constantly striving for goals without appreciating what you already have is a fruitless and negative experience. By all means set goals and challenges, but enjoy the journey and don’t obsess over achievement, deadlines, and the end result. Enjoy that when you get there…and you will get there…but throughout the process be content with who you are and understand that you are already good enough.

You are a living, breathing human being...a miracle of nature. We all take our place here on earth for granted. 

Now, sometimes I catch myself when I’m getting a little crazy, getting all het up in my little bubble of negativity. It doesn’t always work and I probably always will be my own worst critic, but reminding yourself of those words can help. It forces a reality check and allows you to enjoy simply being. Just be in that moment and embrace it, for you are already good enough.


What is a Mantra for Monday?


Note: Silent Sunday no. 4: I love light and shadow. There have been many a cold but sunny winter day recently, my favourite kind of wintry weather! The shadows cast at this time of year are crisp and hard against the walls of the surrounding buildings, reminding me of this shot taken along the streets of Seville. The dramatic shadow is cast against the wall shaped by angle of the alleyway, enticing you through the cool darkness to reach the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...