Tuesday 12 June 2012

Coconut oatmeal cookies

It’s crazy to think that with my love of oats I have not yet attempted a full on oatmeal cookie!

Well all that has now changed!

A few days ago, some of you may have seen this picture pop up on my newly created Instagram account (subtle hint: come follow me here!!)

These cookies are soft and chewy and rich and buttery…they taste like a regular soft and buttery sugary oat cookie yet without all the naughtiness. The inclusion of coconut, in the form of coconut sugar and coconut flakes (along with coconut oil although you can’t taste that!) gives these cookies a deep caramelly richness and a crazy cool chewy bite. The touch molasses further intensifies the depth of flavour but that is entirely optional.

I initially made a small batch of these cookies as a test. The recipe below makes about 8 medium cookies but you could easily double it up to make a more ‘normal’ sized batch. I also kept it plain and simple here so the oats could take centre stage, but you could add raisins or choc chunks if you wish. Next time I make these I may also sub half of the oats for quinoa flakes to see how that changes the texture. I also fancy a peanut butter version subbing the coconut oil…Mmmmm.

  
Recipe: Coconut oatmeal cookies

Makes approx. 8 cookies

Ingredients

1 cup oats
½ cup buckwheat flour
3 tbs tapioca flour
3tbs coconut sugar (plus pinch stevia- optional)
1 tbs agave
1 tsp molasses (optional for richness)
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice or nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2tbs coconut oil- melted
1 tbs ground chia and 3 tbs water/soy milk
3tbs desiccated coconut
¼ cup raisins/choc chinks- optional

Method

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well with spoon. Add choc chunks/raisins last (if using).
On a parchment lines baking sheet roughly roll cookie dough into apricot sozed balls and press flat with fingers.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10 mins until lightly golden. Cool on baking sheet, then store in air-tight container once fully cool.



For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...