Friday 23 November 2012

Buckwheat blini breakfast kebabs

I had originally planned this post for yesterday...but I figured since many of you will be celebrating Thanksgiving, will anyone actually be reading blogs....really? Other than maybe people like me who don't celebrate Thanksgiving in their country. So I decided that I'd postpone it a day... I didn't want anyone missing out! This would make a fab lazy day post Thanksgiving brunch.

This idea came to me at 2am last Saturday morning....just when I should be sleeping NOT thinking about breakfast!

I've got into a bad habit of sitting in bed on my laptop before going to sleep and getting so engrossed in things that I don’t realise the time has crept across to the early hours… and then I can’t switch off when I do lay down to sleep.

However I didn't really mind this particular moment of creativity, and I simply tucked the idea away in my mind until morning.


Welcome to the most amazing brunch ever!

Simple, healthy, versatile, gluten free….the list goes on!

Ok, I’ll cut to the chase. These mini buckwheat blinis were inspired by this post in which the concept of the oat blinis worked really well, however not wanting to simply replicate with buckwheat I made miniature versions using a melon baller as a batter scoop (this worked perfectly- I really recommend this for getting evenly sized blinis) and then threading them onto skewers between chunks of fruit.

You could use any fruit you wish as long as it can be threaded onto skewers. It would be fabulous with banana and strawberries but alas it is not the season for strawberries. I was a little lacking on the fruit front and so used banana and some tinned apricots….had I planned ahead I would have used grapes, chopped mango along with banana…but I  was too impatient to try out my idea before I could get to the shops to replenish my frit supplies!

The blinis are only slightly sweet in themselves so I drizzled them with a (generous) helping of maple syrup and a dollop of vegan yoghurt. You could increase the sweetness of the batter itself if you desired, although I always prefer pancakes to be plain and then sweeten with toppings.

Go on…have a little fun today and play with your food!



Recipe: Buckwheat blini breakfast kebabs

Approx. 8 kebabs (serves 2-4)

100g buckwheat flour
Scant ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
150ml soy milk (or other dairy free milk)
1tsp ground chia or flax
3 tbs agave syrup
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
extra water to thin batter as needed

Approx. 2 cups fruit chunks of choice.
Maple syrup to serve

Method

Blend together all ingredients (other than water) until very smooth. Add as much water as necessary to create a thick but easily pourable batter.

Prepare fruit for kebabs- you can use any fruit that can be skewered. I used banana and apricot halves. Set aside.

Using a melon baller (most practical method) spoon small dollops of the pancake mixture onto a hot lightly oiled frying pan and fry for approx. 30 seconds or so on each side until golden.

When all the blinis are cooked thread them onto skewers alternating with chunks of fruit. Drizzle with maple syrup to serve.






For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...