Tuesday 20 November 2012

Lentil spaghetti bolognaise

How crazy authentic does this bolognaise look?


I was so happy with my lentil 'mince'. Super impressive on all counts….looks, taste and how easy it was to prepare.

This is probably the easiest and healthiest spag-bol you’ll ever make!

Ok, so the ‘spaghetti’ is green I give you that, I julienned a courgette to make spaghetti noodles but you could easily swap in actual spaghetti instead, no dramas, I won’t mind. I just fancied doing some ‘julienning’ since I love the peeler so much! In any case it’s the bolognaise that’s the real star of the show.

You could eat this on its own as a warming snack, spooned over a jacket potato or on a bed or spinach or kale. It’s just so versatile. The flavours are really authentically ‘bolognaisey’ as well- at least I think so (don’t shout at me if you disagree). I added a little beetroot chutney since I had some in the fridge, this simply gives it a greater richness of flavour but isn’t critical or you could add another condiment or chutney of choice for added body and depth.

The one and only important part of this recipe is to use the right lentils! Mine were ‘dark speckled green lentils’ that I’d soaked overnight from dried and cooked up a big batch of to freeze leftovers. Just make sure they are dark lentils (not red or yellow) and that they hold their shape firmly once cooked. I made the mistake of first experimenting with this recipe a few weeks ago at my dad's house and the lentils I took out of the freezer I thought were the ‘hold their shape type’ er no…I ended up with a pile of mush. Edible but not great to look at. You have been warned!



Recipe: Lentil spaghetti bolognaise

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil
1 small red onion
1 1/2 cups cooked dark green lentils- either cooked from dried or tinned (important to use lentils that hold their shape stay firm once cooked)
1 small tin (200g) chopped tomatoes
1-2 cloves garlic or ¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup beetroot chutney (optional for richness of flavour)
1/2 tsp mixed dried Italian herbs (or use fresh)
2 courgettes or use pasta or choice

Method
 
Saute the onion for 5 minutes until softening. Add all remaining ingredients other than the courgettes and simmer for 5 mins.

Whilst the ‘bolognaise’ simmers, slice the courgette into noodles using a julienne peeler. I set the bolognaise aside once cooked and used the same pan for the courgette (to save on washing up) but you can use a separate pan if desired to cook the courgette for 3-4 minutes.

Serve the courgette ‘pasta’ around the edge of a plate and pile the bolognaise in the centre. Serve immediately.





For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

1 comment:

  1. Useful info. Fortunate me I found your web site accidentally, and I'm surprised why this coincidence did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

    Also visit my page - get followers

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...