Friday 21 December 2012

Chestnut sponge pudding


Ahhh...apologies for the delay in posting. I really wanted to get a post up each day during my '12 days of Christmas', but the recent events with my stolen laptop have meant that I've struggled to get onto a computer with all the software I need to edit the photos. Alas, I failed in my task...but I still have so many Christmassy recipes I want to fit in so I am determined to complete my challenge but it will simply mean that in the next few days there will probably have to be multiple posts on some days (hence why I'm writing and posting this at 1:30am!)....not that I ever heard anyone complain about too much cake!

Ok, relax and breathe, back to cake....


I was in a huge chestnut mode a week or so ago, as i'd been to the supermarket and stocked up on these ready prepared chestnuts (I feel I should prepare my own from scratch too just so I don't feel like i'm completely cheating this year!) 

So then of course I wanted to set about making lots of things with them, particular since this chestnut roast had gone down so well. I first tried making a batch of chestnut scones using this pumpkin recipe as a guide but changing the flours to make it gluten free. It was not much of a success, the flour combo just wasn't doing anything for the consistency or the rise of the scone, i'm pretty sure that if i'd used spelt it would have been fine, scone making is one aspect of my gluten free baking that I have to get right since this is the second attempt in the last few weeks that has gone in the bin! 

So onto trial number two....a mug cake. This little mug cake actually turned into a gem of a dessert in its own right, simply because it seemed too grown up to be a regular mug cake. I actually gave this one two attempts each with different flours. I tried buckwheat (my go to gluten free flour) for the first attempt but I wasn't totally convinced- the flavour seemed to overpower the chestnuts a little, so then a I had another go using ground oats (make sure they are GF if dealing with sensitives) and this sponge was perfect, light and fluffy but still delicate and moist. 

I'm sure other flours would also work just be careful to opt for a mild flavour. It had a lovely subtle chestnut flavour and paired so well with a creamy vanilla sauce. The sauce was a last moment act of spontaneity since I had some of this yoghurt to use up. To make a healthier cream to the one I used (which contained some sugar) you could opt for this cashew custard which would think would be awesome!


Recipe: Chestnut sponge pudding

serves 1-2

Ingredients:

3tbs ground oats (oat flour)
1tbs rapadura
1/4 tsp each baking power and baking soda
1/4 cup chestnut pure
1/4 tsp cinnamon
approx. 2 tbs soy milk (or other) if needed
1tbs chopped chestnuts mixed through batter (optional)
1tbs chopped nuts on chestnuts reserved for top
1/3 yoghurt/custard/cream to serve

Method:

Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix to form a soft spoonable batter. 

Using a silicone egg poach, a silicone muffin case or a small lightly greased microwaveable domed dish, add the reserved nuts to the bottom of the dish and then spoon the batter on top. Cook in the microwave for 60 seconds until just cooked (if the top is still sticky cook for a further 20-30 seconds). You could oven bake this but the result might not be quite so moist, if you decide to oven bake try 10-15 minutes at 180C (note I haven't tried this method).

To create an indulgent dessert pour vegan vanilla yoghurt, cream or custard into the bottom of a small serving dish and then turn the sponge out into the dish so that the cream surrounds it and the nuts are now on top. Drizzle with maple syrup and dust with cinnamon if desired.

You could double or triple this recipe to make multiple individual cupcake sized servings.



For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...