Tuesday 18 December 2012

Christmas chestnut roast



The chestnut and cranberry roast was my substitute for the Christmas turkey at my work Christmas party, it was like nut loaf and stuffing balls all wrapped up in one dish!


I baked the roast in a round cake pan and cut wedges, just to visually change things up a bit, but you could bake in a loaf pan or form balls if you preferred. For for extra crispy roasted edges, use the 'double bake' technique detailed here in my regular nut roast.

This is a great seasonal dish and is so simple to throw together... particularly if you cheat a little like I did and buy pre-cooked chestnuts (shhh, I was pushed for time!). I added a few dried cranberries for an extra flavour boost but they are not essential.  I used my regular nut roast as a guide, knowing that the versatile recipe would be likely to lend itself to such variations.



Recipe: Christmas chestnut roast

Ingredients:

1 cup coarsely chopped cooked chestnuts (I briefly pulsed in a food processor)
1/2 cup chopped cashews/pinenuts
approx. 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion- diced
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 carrots- grated
1 medium parsnip- grated
1 cup white beans- mashed
1 cup cooked quinoa (or cooked rice or oats*)
2 heaped tbs tapioca flour
1/4 cup fresh herbs (parsley/thyme/rosemary)
1/2 tsp mixed spice/nutmeg
2 tbs soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
water (if needed- I never need it)


Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grind nuts and set aside. Sauté vegetables in olive oil for 5 mins until soft. 

Mix all ingredients in large bowl adding sautéed vegetables to it. Mix and mash together well and add a little water only if needed to achieve a sticky (but not wet) consistency. Add more oats (or another carbohydrate of choice) if mixture is too wet. 

Press mixture firmly into a greased 9" cake pan or equivalent loaf tin. Bake for approx. 45 minutes until golden.



(Apologies these last couple of photos are a bit dark and blue, the light was fading at the time of the shoot and when usually I would have quickly tweaked the colour and brightness in Photoshop I am lacking in my tool set until I get a new laptop....managing as best I can for the time being!)

For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...