Monday 3 December 2012

Mantra For Monday no. 49



I spent the majority of my 20's fresh from school with my 'whole life ahead of me' bounding along in the direction I thought I should be going, the direction that everyone expected of me, the 'done thing', and therefore the only direction I gave any thought or credit to.

I went from school, to college, to uni, to a job without pause to take a breathe...it was easier to go with the flow and just think about everything else later, decisions are hard so I (like so many others) avoided them and followed the script since I could just figure out what I wanted to do later.

But when does 'later' actually happen? Seven years 'later' at the age of 29 I am still following that 'script'.

... but no for very much longer. Come January I am finally turning my back on my scripted life, the moment I have been building towards over the last year or so. I am finally quitting my job, having reduced my hours over the last year, with no new 'job' to go to. It will all be down to me...and I will be writing my very own script. A script that that I hope will inspire me with passion.

This post was inspired by a TEDx lecture by Scott Dinsmore of Live Your Legend, you can listen to it here.  The mantra above was extracted from the essence of his closing words and above all I loved the sense of poetry in the phrase the 'scripted life'.  I don't regret the years that came before this point; the people, experiences, teachings and creativity all feed into the person I am today and there have been many moments I will treasure for the rest of my life. If I am honest I doubt I would have the sense of self I have now, had it not been for these years that came before as a comparison and reflection.

Learn from the past, look forward to the future.

What is a Mantra for Monday?

Silent Sunday no. 49:  The anticipation of Christmas at the onset of advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...