Tuesday 12 February 2013

Pancake roundup!

Happy Pancake Day!! Or Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras...whichever title you use I hope you've enjoyed your day!

I have a quick recipe below, but first a little pancake feast roundup for you!
my favourite super-cute buckwheat blini kebab!

I love pancakes, thought I have them all too rarely. That is the thin and crepe like kind with the crispy edges. I often have fat and fluffy American style breakfast pancakes but the traditional English pancakes all to often go overlooked. Not today...today I will revel in all their glory.

Such a simple pancake and today my pancake mix will be no different to previous years, though I have provided it again below for quick reference. Unfortunately I still have not mastered the art of a gluten free pancake of this kind, I have used spelt flour but for gluten free pancakes of other types take your pick from these oaty stacks in either sweet or savoury options and these almost-too-cute-to-eat buckwheat blinis... assemble your own blini buffet to make the perfect for playtime with the kids or as a pancake-turns-Valentines-dessert with your loved one! 

My pancake of choice for today's celebrations are my spelt pancakes, but this time using wholemeal flour all wrapped up with an apple date and cinnamon saucy compote ( also also had banana and maple syrup in one of the pancakes as you can see peeking out). I apologise for the slightly lacking photography...I had to use artificial spot lights which I always struggle with compared with natural light (horrible shadows), plus the fact that I had a telephone appointment scheduled so was pushed for time...oh well :-)

What is your favourite type of pancake...and most importantly your favourite topping?
 

Recipe: English spelt pancakes with apple compote

Makes 3 medium pancakes (serves one for a large portion!)

Ingredients- pancakes

½ cup wholemeal spelt flour (or white for a lighter pancake if that is important to you)
1 tsp ground flax or chia seed
1 tsp agave syrup
1 tsp baking powder
tiny pinch salt
2/3 cup soy milk (reduce to half if you prefer a thicker pancake)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs melted coconut oil/vegetable oil

Ingredients- topping

1 large apple- cubed (peel first if preferred)
2-3 tbs date syrup, handful finely chopped dates, or 1 tbs date sugar (I used finely chopped dates)
½ tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup apple puree
1 tbs lemon juice
a little water to achieve desired consistency
Handful raisins or sultanas- optional

Method

For the topping, cup the apple it smallish 1cm sized cubes, place in a small sauce pan and mix with the date paste/sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Cook on a medium heat on the stove for approx 5 minutes, add the apple puree and water and then simmer for another 5 minutes whilst the pancakes cook until the apple softens and creates a saucy consistency.

For the pancakes, mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients. Mix well until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.

Meanwhile heat a medium sized frying pan with very light covering of oil (I used rapeseed oil lightly rubbed over the surface with kitchen roll). Once the pan is hot add a large spoonful of batter to the pan and move the pan in circular motions to spread the batter into a larger circle. Cook for approx. 2 minutes and then carefully flip to cook the reverse for approx. 1 minute until both sides are lightly brown. Run a little more oil over the surface of the pan and then repeat for two more pancakes. 

Serve hot with the apple compote or other toppings of your choice.



* for further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

1 comment:

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...