Thursday 18 April 2013

Baked 'coconut cream' cheesecakes

More coconut cream concoctions...this stuff is totally amazing, please don’t roll you eyes at me as I go off on one again!  Try it first...please (if only to shut me up!!)



Ok, so now we've tried it as a creamy whipped topping, as a thick mouse, in a cream egg and as a chilled cheesecake. So how about cooking it?

Yes, you can bake this stuff too!!

My initial reason for doing this was to see whether I could make a light and not too thick mix and then bake it instead of freezing it and still be able to take it out of a pudding mold (i.e muffin case). Without baking these little beauties there would have been no way that I would have been able to remove them...that would have been an absolute mess!

It worked perfectly since the short baking time seals the edges and allows them to pull away from the muffin case or whatever silicone mold you use. Since the edges pull away I would suggest that you would also be fine with metal cake pans- just edge round using a knife to lever them out.

You can add any mix-ins you choose, I tried out a few options but creativity is virtually endless.  I would suggest serving these cheesecakes hot, just for a change and to make the most of the ‘just baked’ feel.
Oh, before I go....here is one more coconut cream idea... a chocolate cookie cream sandwich that I posted over here at the Real Food Source. I based the recipe on my popular chocolate quinoa cookies.



Recipe: Baked coconut cream cheesecakes

Makes 3-4 mini cheesecakes

Ingredients:

2/3 cup soy yoghurt (other yoghurts would probably work well)
3 tbs fine coconut flour
Stevia or syrup of choice to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping mix-in options
2 tsp cocoa powder
Crushed frozen raspberries (frozen are easier to handle to create a mottled not blended look)
Blueberries (frozen are best to avoid burning during baking

Base: I used a variant of my breakfast cookie oat base without the choc chunks, or you could use a smoosh bar style base. Or go for no base at all!

Method

Combine all cheesecake ingredients in a small bowl and stir together well to from a thick paste. Add mix ins as necessary.

Press chosen base mix (if using) in the bottom of mini muffins or cupcake tins (use silicone for ease of removal) and then top with the cheesecake mix  and toppings. Bake for 5-10 mins at 180ºC just until the edges have baked and sealed and the mixture is heated through, no need to be golden. The baking will seal the edges and make for an easy removal.

Serve hot or cold.




For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

19 comments:

  1. I would like one of each, please! Just found your blog on Google blog search and I'm loving a lot of the recipes you've got here. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, Thank you, it's always useful to know where people find me too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Never can have too much vegan recipes with coconut flour! I tried your recipe for healthy cadbury eggs yesterday and it was delicious.
    This recipe will be on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nezumi, so glad you liked them...and I haven't finished wit the coconut cream just yet!! :-)

      Delete
  3. At what temperature would you bake them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around 180ºC thought the temperature is not to important- just keep an eye on them. I have added it tot he recipe now.

      Delete
  4. These look SO DELICIOUS! Cheesecake is one of our favourite things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look heavenly and I can't wait to try them! Just found your website through foodgawker and am excited to browse through all of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, I'm glad you found me, and thank you for letting me know how you got here...it's always good to know how people find me! :-)

      Delete
  6. Your cheesecakes look amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cute small size of these and that they involve a short ingredient list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love short ingredients lists too! :-)

      Delete
  8. I really like that this is a different take on cheesecakes since this one can be served hot OR cold! Perfect for someone impatient for dessert, like me ;)

    P.S. I found you through Foodgawker (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, Ha ha, impatient...that's me too! :-) Thank you for letting me know how you came to find me, it's always useful to know!

      Delete
  9. Holy heavens those look scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. could you do this in a normal cheesecake size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor, I didn't try a larger size as I just made a small amount of mixture for mini tins, however i imagine this should work fine if you use a tin that allows for easy removal, the edges will pull away from the sides anyway. I am not sure on required cooking times, though the intention was more to seal the edges so this may not matter too much. Let me know how you get on!

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...