Saturday 25 May 2013

Summer fruit slaw with chia berry dressing


My julienne peeler has been getting a bit of action again! But this time it’s not only with the veggies.



After the success of this simple cucumber and pineapple salsa, I was keen to experiment more with mixing the refreshing subtle taste of cucumber with other fruits.

Here I used any fruits I could get my hands on to julienne. For your reference...no, you cannot julienne a banana. Believe me I tried. It would have been the perfect shape so I am very disappointed! (I even tried with a frozen banana as I was that determined but nope it just wasn’t happening!)

The first time I made this slaw I had a large mango in my fruit bowl and that worked a treat, the second time I didn’t have a mango, hence why the photos below are mango-less but I have still added it to the recipe. I also used rhubarb which gave a great tart flavour contrast, though raw rhubarb is a little tough and stringy so you may want to cook it ever so slightly after julienning it- I left it raw, but it’s just an idea for you to try.

Throw in lots of cucumber, you won’t taste it against the sweetness of the fruits and I also added a simple fruity yoghurt and chia dressing to give an extra touch of sweetness.

Breakfast? Dessert? You choose.



Recipe: Summer fruit slaw

Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ cup cucumber noodles
¼ cup rhubarb noodles (cook lightly if desired)
¼ cup mango noodles
----
1tbs sugar free berry jam
2 tbs non-dairy yoghurt
1 tsp chia seed
Extra fruit/berries to decorate as desired.

Method:

Mix the yoghurt with the sugar free jam and chia seeds and set aside to thicken slightly. 

Prepare the fruit and cucumber noodles and place in a swirl in a serving plate/bowl leaving a well in the centre. Spoon the jam mix into the centre of the slaw.

Decorate with berries  to serve as desired. You could also add a sprinkle of cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, cocoa, coconut, nuts.....





For further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and delicious! I am going to have to try it. I throw chia seeds in everything. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I love chia too! :-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...