Friday 7 September 2012

Seedy smoosh

I’m on a roll these week, getting back into the swing of things that the summer holidays threw out of sync!  So here we go, another recipe to knock your socks off and get you going full steam ahead.

Smoosh bars…my favourite. You know that right?  I want everyone else to be able to enjoy them too, but up until now those with nut allergies couldn’t join in the fun.  This recipe was in part inspired by a friend who is a teacher and requested some ideas for healthy school-friendly snacks that didn’t contain nuts. I love it when people set me a challenge!

Welcome my super seedy smoosh bars.  Full of seeds…no nuts!


I made sun butter for a first time a short while ago and figured this could be the perfect way to try it out, and I was not disappointed. I have since made my regular nut based smoosh bars simply substituting the nuts for seeds without the sun butter, and they also worked well, however in this recipe the roasted sun butter really adds an extra dimension…so good! I’m almost embarrassed to say I was surprised how good they were, I obviously didn’t have enough faith in these mighty seeds. Now I know better. 

The whopping serving of chia in these bars makes is enough to class them as a super-food in their own right...who's with me? If you don't have any chia seeds, no worries, other small or processed seeds would work just fine here too.

The perfect back to school treats for those whose schools ban nuts from the lunchbox, oh and just about anyone else who fancies a healthy snack….er. so that will be everyone then!

You'll find more no-bake treats and snacks here.

 
Recipe: Seedy smoosh

Approx. 10 bars

Ingredients

½ cup chia seeds
2/3 cup raisins
½ cup roasted sun butter (homemade roasted/blended sunflower seeds)
½ cup desiccated coconut flakes (plus extra for topping)
1/3 cup ground oats*
A squeeze of lemon juice and a little zest (optional- makes the flavours pop)

Method

Mix all ingredients in a food processor until you have a form sticky mixture that can be formed in to balls or bars.

I formed bars by pressing the mixture into the bottom of a small loaf tin lined with parchment for easy removal. Sprinkle extra coconut on the top and press down or roll the balls in it.

Allow to chill for an hour before serving.




* for further guidance on making gluten free choices please see this post.

For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

6 comments:

  1. it looks delicious!

    http://rockingcloset.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these beauties! Recipe was super simple and they taste deliiicious, definitely recommend the lemon :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So loving this post. I'm one of those people who cannot eat nuts. Also, no nuts are allowed at any school around Australia.
    I cannot wait to make these bars. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Nina, your comment made my day :-)

      Delete
  4. These look divine! I work at a daycare that is a nut-free place, and these are something I'd love to pack in my lunch.

    I'm not a huge raisin fan though. Do you think I could substitute raisins or even leave out the raisins entirely and still make this recipe work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, do you like dates? They will work well, or even dried prunes, figs or apricots though they will change the overall taste. Basically you just need a raisin replacement to smoosh it all together! Hope you enjoy them.

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...